13 June 2006

Bike

My first annual rant about Motorcycling. No I will not complain about bikers, but it's the others on the roads that I will rant about. Here is a list of complaints I have about you 4 wheeled folks (you know who you are):
Tailgating: this is not acceptable unless you are on a race track. Tailgating a bike is dangerous to the biker. If we have to stop in a hurry,the truck/car/minivan/SUV behind a bike will severly injure the biker and passenger.
Secure/cover your load: this one applies to all those dump trucks, pickups, and those who haul stuff to the dump. Please cover your load so it is not blowing out of the truck. It's not so bad when you are in a car, but on a bike it can be very bad. I have been pelted by a fine dust from the back of a dump truck and it felt like I was in a sandblaster.
Awareness: be aware that there are motorcycles out there. Just because you don't here one, there might be one.
Blindspots: On a bike the blindspots are larger. They have no rear view mirror, just the 2 that are on the handlebars. If we can't see you, we don't know you are there.